Tuesday 13 March 2012


Week 2: Spreading the message

The obvious part of this challenge is to wear charity clothes for 2012 but with every day and every new outfit I’m putting together, my attitude towards this challenge is changing. People who know me, know how much I love to talk and love to shop so there isn’t many who don’t know about ‘Operation Charity Shop Chic.’  I take great pleasure in telling anyone who compliments me on a piece of clothing where I got it from and the small price it cost me.

I have been so surprised by the clothes I’ve found in the few shops I’ve been. Not only the price of the clothes but also the quality and (probably the most surprising) the amount of clothes still with their price tags on. My preconceived thoughts on what charity shops were like and the stock they had have been blown away in just two weeks .... and I’m only just getting started.

I also thought this weekend seemed like the right time to clear out my wardrobe. I am a clothes hoarder, this I know. At the time of purchase, I love every item of clothing I own and it pains me to get rid of it even if I haven’t worn it for a long time. I did however part with lots of clothes I know I won’t wear again, some I’ve never worn and some that are now too big for me. Those of the clothes I think everyone likes to part with. That amounted to two full bags of clothes which I have donated to The Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation. This is because it is their shop on Allerton Road, where I have come across some fabulous dresses and trousers and have been wearing most days of my challenge. It felt only right to donate my clothes there, you never know, I might even end up buying some of them back!!

Although it is about the clothes, I’m trying to give back too so this weekend I volunteered and helped in a street collection for the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation in Liverpool city centre. It was graet to be a part of something like that and talk to th every people the charity help and it was so lovely to hear people telling us how they support the cause and the reasons why.


No comments:

Post a Comment